Solution Mindset vs Problem Solving Mindset

A cohort of mine who I respect deeply wrote an article about the Solution Mindset vs Problem Solving mindset for his consulting allies. I decided to piggyback off this article because I think it's applicable to anyone who produces a service/product.
 
In summary, when you interact with another human to help are you listening to their issues without a preconceived notion and or bias towards their solution?
(Related the negative influence of preconceived notions.)
A wise man once told me, "To be understood, you must first understand."
Often times people, including myself, propose a fix to a problem prior to fully understanding the problem to it's entirety. In my past, I have seen numerous examples of Software development companies spend thousands of dollars and hours of time applying a "fix" to a problem that could have been easily solved a simply training the end user. And since the problem wasn't fully understood, the applied "fix" just introduced more issues. 

Another disconnect I see is the producer of a particular "fix" doesn't work closely with the end user to refine the proposed solution after the go-live of the product. This is precisely why companies like Google and Microsoft introduce a beta phase to their solution.

At the end of the day, don't we all want happy customers? Don't let pride get in the way. 

Popular posts from this blog

Gifts that save your bank account and the environment

Self Study: Can I really save money being a one car family?